Burnaby Village Museum & Carousel is a place where history comes to life – Stroll down the streets of a 1920s village exploring at your own pace. Period costumed townsfolk welcome visitors and give demonstrations in the homes, businesses and shops. Popular stops include the blacksmith, the print shop, the garden at the farmhouse and the General Store.
- learn about lead type at the printshop
- feel the heat of the blacksmith's forge
- watch a silent black & white movie
- chat to the clerk at the General Store
- tour the exhibition in Stride Studio
- ride the carousel
- explore the restored Interurban tram
- listen for the steam whistle
- talk to the teacher in the one-room schoolhouse
Stopover time approximately 1½ - 2 hours. The site is wheelchair accessible.
- the museum was established in 1972
- the collection has over 50,000 artifacts of all sizes - from a hat pin to a heritage home, a tram and a carousel
- at full speed, the outside horses on the carousel go 7mph
- a rare 1911 CCM Motorcycle is on display in the Auto Shop
- much of the museum site used to be a strawberry farm
- the oldest existing building in Burnaby is at the museum, the 1893 Love Farmhouse
Ice Cream Parlour
Our museum restaurant seats up to 70 guests for luncheons and dinners. Hardwood floors and an outdoor patio are special features. Deer Lake Catering is pleased to cater your groups at the Ice Cream Parlour. Their home-style menu provides several choices.
C.W. Parker Carousel
This 1912 fully restored carousel is an amazing piece of history. The delight it gives both visitors and staff cannot be measured. Music for the carousel is provided by a restored 1925 146B Wurlitzer Military band organ capable of duplicating the sound of a large band.
This 1912 Interurban Tram was operated on the B.C. Electric Railway Burnaby lines until the late 1950s. This car was recently returned to the museum after the completion of a five-year restoration project. The interior is truly elegant highlighted by brass hardware and cherry and oak woods.
Use the links below for more information:Go to Top